You know when you have what seems like a really good idea at the time but you quickly realise you’ve made terrible mistake and can’t then back out?
That was us a month or two ago.
The hoteliers group hold a monthly coffee morning in winter. The idea is that you put on coffee and cakes and provide entertainment of some sort and it’s a nice social occasion but not totally pointless.
Last month was a talk from a tax inspector. Riveting stuff.
Anyway. They asked for volunteers to host the next coffee morning.
“We’ll do it” I heard.
Mad fools, I thought. What? Wait! Was that MY voice? What the hell…? Have I gone stark staring bonkers?
It seemed like a great idea at the time. We’ve done loads of work and I was keen to show it off. We’re really proud of our place now.
Still a few more jobs to go but we have bags of time, I thought. Four months. No problem.
Four months ago we had bags of time.
My, how time flies.
It was yesterday.
Fifty five hoteliers turned up for coffee and cake and to run their critical eyes over my soft furnishing and their wandering fingers over my dados.
In the last week we have ramped up the decorating, furniture painting, cleaning, polishing, and general sprucing up.
By Thursday of last week the pressure was getting to me and a migraine was building up – it was probably over exposure to paint fumes now I come to think of it. I’ve breathed in so much paint that I don’t even notice it any more.
Why the hell did I agree to do it and especially on bloody Valentine’s and half term week.
What a fool!
We had house full of loved up couples for Valentine’s weekend and by Sunday my migraine had me threatening to rip my eyeball out. Way beyond being able to cope and with the cocktail of pills I was taking failing to work I announced to Boofuls that I was off to bed to try and sleep it off.
Our bedroom used to be one of the guest rooms. We have room one.
As I drifted off to sleep I suddenly heard a wailing coming from room two. Oh my good God! Ooh. Ooh. Ooh OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!
I thought bloody Lassie was in the next room!
I put my pillow over my heard and tried my best not to listen. Difficult above all the wailing. Eventually it all calmed down and I drifted off to sleep.
The fire alarm went off!
I leapt out of bed. Slipped on some shoes and proceeded to work my way round all the rooms, banging on the doors and shouting that it wasn’t a drill and it was time to go. I worked backwards round the corridor, starting at room 8.
Boofuls checked the fire alarm console and established where the fire was.
We went and banged on the door and it was answered by the chap, zipping up his trousers. As soon as he opened the door it was obvious there was no fire. So far so good. Bear in mind that Boofuls had no idea about what had been going on in there just a few minutes before. “Have you been smoking in here? Nope. I struggled to keep the smirk off my face.
I wanted to save them further embarrassment at having literally been caught with their pants down and suggested that if they’d had the shower on it might have caused the alarm to go off. At this exact point Boofuls said, “You’ve obviously been generating too much heat in here.” Their faces were a picture.
Unable to contain myself any further I just walked off up the corridor stifling my guffaws while Boofuls looked at me in total bewilderment at the cause of my mirth.
It was blummin’ priceless! oh, how I love being a hotelier, it’s a laugh a minute.
We never did find out what actually caused the alarm to go off. Maybe it really was because they were hot stuff.